1.19.2013

Facebook is a jerk.


Oh Facebook, how I love and hate you both at the same time.  It’s been about 6 months since I started my hiatus from Mark Zuckerberg’s blessed creation, Facebook.  My decision to leave Facebook was a long time coming and not a rash one.  I doubt that I will return anytime soon, but I have to admit, it has been a tad harder than I expected to keep in touch with people.  I may wave the white flag and give into the world of FB in the future…who knows?  I just know I’m not going to be doing it today.

Why all this Facebook hate?  My reasons for leaving are clear and simple.

Reason Number 1:  I have better things to do with my time. 
Like Pinterest.  Okay, I’m joking (kinda) about the Pinterest part.  FB can be addicting and before you know it, your habit of checking FB 2x a day can turn into 4x a day addiction.  Yes, FB can assist in passing the time if you are bored, but back to my original point…I’d rather do more productive things than creep on FB.

Reason Number 2:  I missed connecting with friends the old fashioned way. 
 I feel FB has made us a little lazy in regards to social interaction and connecting with friends.  Although it is very convenient to shoot a message across FB to a friend, I missed phoning friends to catch up.

Reason Number 3:  FB’s privacy changes.
 Even though I don’t have any party pics from Cancun or pics of me half-dressed doing keg stands at frat party, I am cautious about what others see.  At first, I loved FB’s privacy settings.  It was the perfect way to filter what friends, family, and co-workers see online.  The love fizzed out quickly as FB would adjust the settings without my knowledge.  I work for the government and deal with numerous vendors and customers on a daily basis and occasionally I have gotten a friend request (or two) from them.  Some of these (creepers) friend requesters would even email me to question my relationship status, which is normally kept hidden for several reasons. Creeepy!  Long story short: The ever changing privacy changes pretty much ruined it for me.  Oh yeah, and don’t even get me started on the timeline. Yuck.

Reason Number 4:  It’s kinda boring. 
 Do I care if Shane listened to ‘Best I Ever Had’ by Drake on Spotify? No.  Do I care if Jenna checked herself into Costa Vida (for the millionth time)? No.  In addition to being boring, these mundane play-by-plays of one’s day really clog up my news feed.

Reason Number 5:  It makes you feel bad about yourself.   
FB unleashes a whole slew of insecurities, especially for us girls.  It’s fun when Sarah posts about her promotion at her already high paying job, while you are still shuffling papers at an unpaid internship. It’s cute when Nicci posts vacation pictures every other weekend, when you are on a one trip a year budget.  It’s precious when Courtney, Whitney, AND Tanna all announce their engagement over FB (during FB’s engagement season, of course) when you are still single.

Reason Number 6:  Drama.   
As you may know, I am not a fan of drama…and really don’t put up with it.  But, somehow…someway, FB seems to create a lot of it.  First and foremost, I never knew that deleting someone you met once in the summer of 2008 would garner an angry message and hurt feelings.  I never knew that replying to someone’s message three days later would cause that person to feel you were ‘deliberately’ ignoring them and make you a disrespectful person.  In my defense, I would have to go into my messages to see if I had any new ones as my account never notified me of new messages or notifications.  Lastly, there are the people out there that somehow, someway find a way to get offended by what is on your page.  In my experience, even the smallest things like rejoicing over designer jeans on sale, would cause some to feel obligated to send me a rude message about my ‘pretentiousness’.  Select people in my life have a little more crazy in their tank than others and fortunately, they won’t reach out to me with lovely messages through FB anymore .

2 comments:

  1. Sound like good reasons. I should cut back too, It is addicting.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I have closed down my fb page several times. In fact it is almost a joke among my friends on when I will "disappear" again. I do it for all of these reasons too. Except I always end up back on! Ugh! Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment love makes my day! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...